January 2011: I am preparing for my first real visit to Detroit, the city of my birth. I am a Californian, where I have been since age one when my parents packed me into a car to seek fame and fortune in LA. It is strange to be defined by something unknown but when asked if I am a "native" Californian, I answer, "No, I was born in Detroit." It seems time to investigate what that means. So I have come "home" on my birthday to photograph Detroit.

This blog is part of an accompanying journal about the project.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

September In Detroit, Part V: Followup: Do Something for Detroit

"September in Detroit" is a multi-part post, part of the continuing series of musings on Detroit as I sit here, absorbing my own experience in the city combined with others' tales.  This particular 4-part series is best read from Part I below and then upward, if you can make it through...  I call it a "musing" as I attempt to make sense of what I see and experience each visit, part of my in-progress photo exhibition/book exploration of my birth city.


Posted by Crain's Detroit Business as a followup to the Detroit Homecoming is "The Detroit Perspectus: 5 Ways to Support Detroit," a list of links and resources to "Do Something" for Detroit.  Perfect as a starting point not only for we expats but for others interested in working with this beleagured but rising-again city.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20140917/NEWS/140919730/the-detroit-prospectus-5-ways-to-support-detroit

No comments:

Post a Comment