January 2011: I am preparing for my first real visit to Detroit, the city of my birth. I am a Californian, where I have been since age one when my parents packed me into a car to seek fame and fortune in LA. It is strange to be defined by something unknown but when asked if I am a "native" Californian, I answer, "No, I was born in Detroit." It seems time to investigate what that means. So I have come "home" on my birthday to photograph Detroit.

This blog is part of an accompanying journal about the project.

Saturday, January 12, 2013

And speaking of bridges to theCity...

I haven't followed this discussion very much, but I am now familiar with the name of the owner of the Ambassador Bridge, the present over-water link between Detroit and Windsor, CA.   Manuel "Matty" Maroun is also the owner of the Michigan Central Station, Detroit's iconic beautiful station that has fallen into such disrepair and stands as a symbol for all that has happened to this city.

Without learning much more for the moment, the Daily Show's take on the controversy about Canada's offer to build a new bridge is telling....





No comments:

Post a Comment